Okonomiyaki – Japanese Savoury Pancake
Okonomiyaki is a popular savoury vegetable pancake consisting of a variety of ingredients “as you like”. This dish will please the fussiest eater as the delicious pancake is served with a tasty silky mayonnaise and a sweet tangy sauce. Why not get the kids to drizzle the sauce on their own pancakes, they will start off by licking their fingers and the rest is a clean plate. Enjoy!
Ingredients - Serves: 4
4 cups Cabbage, finely shredded
1 large Carrot, finely julienned
1 small sweet potato, finely julienned
2 large Potatoes, grated
1 large onion, thinly sliced
½ cup Spring onion, finely sliced
1/2 cup Rice flour
1/2 cup Self Raising Flour *
1/3 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable Oil, for cooking
Obento Tonkatsu Sauce
Bonito flake (Katsuobushi)*
Obento Yaki Nori Sheet, cut into strips
1. Combine cabbage, carrots, potatoes, onion, spring onion, flour, eggs, water, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
3. Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add ½ cup of vegetable mixture to frying pan. Cook pancake until bottom is golden brown then flip over. Add more oil as necessary.
4. Cook the other side until it is thoroughly cooked and golden brown.
5. Remove pancake and place on a plate.
6. Drizzle with Tonkatsu sauce, mayonnaise, bonito flakes and Yaki Nori strips.
*for a gluten free recipe, substitute SRF with rice flour