Okonomiyaki – Japanese Savoury Pancake
Ingredients - Serves 4
4 cups cabbage, finely shredded
1 large carrot, finely julienned
1 small sweet potato, grated
2 large potatoes, grated
1 large onion, thinly sliced
½ cup spring onion, finely sliced
1/2 cup rice flour *
1/2 cup self-raising flour *
salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable oil, for cooking
Obento Tonkatsu Sauce or ABC Sweet Soy Sauce
Bonito flake (Katsuobushi)*
Obento Yaki Nori sheet, cut into strips
1. Combine cabbage, carrots, potatoes, onion, spring onion, flour, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
3. Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add ½ cup of vegetable mixture to frying pan.
4. Cook pancake until bottom is golden brown then flip over. Add more oil as necessary.
5. Cook the other side until it is thoroughly cooked and golden brown.
6. Remove pancake and place on a plate.
6. Drizzle with Tonkatsu sauce, mayonnaise, bonito flakes and Yaki Nori strips. Serve hot.
*rice flour substitute, dont stress if you dont have rice flour, just use extra plain or self raising flour instead